GREs

ROSBF ravenn at ix.netcom.com
Mon Oct 23 11:14:22 EST 1995

jcoleman at msvax.mssm.edu gave us this to ponder:

>I too have a problem with these GPA cut offs...mainy because it doesn't allow
>people to make mitakes in college and correct them. I started out in college as
>a chemical engineering major which was, to say the least, A BIG MISTAKE.
>Engineering GPA are usually lower on average than other college major, I had
>about a 2.5 to 2.7 which I thought was horrible but was considered in good
>standing anyway....I wasn't one of the excellent engineering jocks but I was
>considered average. I tried hard for two years to please my parents and finally
>decided this wasn't my thing, so I switched to psychology major with electives
>in biology and neurobiology....GPA switched to a 3.7 to 4.0....leaving me
>overall with a 3.3....beneath many schools' automatic cutoffs, even though I
>was apply to neurobiology/medical programs...which didn't bother to notice I
>changed majors after sophomore year.....other friends who stayed one major and
>would take difficult course because they didn't want to bring down their GPA
>got in to the same programs.  ---- is there a problem, you bet ya.

>Jen

You raise a very good point.  But admissions committees should be
bright anough to take this into consideration I think.  What about
those people who go to college and party their freshman year and do
miserably, then turn around and get to work and make wonderful grades?

The applications for Howard Houghes and NSF Predoc fellowships asked
for your transcript but also had you list only courses relevant to
science in a section.  (At least they did this was a while ago.)

That might be a better may for graduate schools to go.  That way they
would have your entire transcript and your group of relevant courses
as well.

Ok Jen let's start our own university.  What should we call it? 8)

R.

BAD TYPISTS OF THE WORLD UNTIE!!!