Need Info to Reply to Sexist

Ms. S.J. Rickard srickard at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk
Tue Oct 24 10:07:34 EST 1995

Dear Sherry (and everyone elst too!),
I think your response to the "womens groups are sexist" argument hit the
nail on the head. When I was
at university (only a year or so ago) a lot of male students (without
stereotyping it generally was the beer swilling rugby types) kept
whinging on about how awful it was that there was a womens committee and a
group. And even worse, the Students' Union funded them (faint with shock!).

"Why do we need a womens group? - What do women need X thousand pounds
for?? We could use that money to buy X,Y,Z (usually sport related!!!)" they
would cry at meetings.

Well boys, we would say...we need the money to run a minibus to allow
women to get home safetly at night without fear of rape..we need the
money to provide education programmes that affect women...etc etc.

"Yeah...but us men get attacked too...why can't we have a minibus??" they
would protest.

You can have a minibus we would say. Why don't you set up a mens group and
apply for the money as we do.

SILENCE

Of course they never did set up a mens group. I wonder why????? (answers
on a postcard please!)

Sarah