GREs

jcoleman at msvax.mssm.edu jcoleman at msvax.mssm.edu
Thu Oct 26 17:57:56 EST 1995

In article <46me95$os3 at fremont.ohsu.edu>, nishir at ohsu.edu (Rae Nishi) writes:

>The Educational Testing Service (which administers the GRE) actively
>discourages schools from using test scores soley as 'cutoffs' for
>consideration.  Having been on several admissions committees and about
>to be the Chair of one soon, I can say that even in the initial screen
>one looks at the combination of GREs, grade transcripts (note: NOT just
>GPA--- some people bomb their first two years in college, then get
>straight A's their last two years), and research experience/ letters.
>Certain things will put you at a disadvantage right away:  GREs below
>the 50th percentile and an overall GPA significantly below 3.0.
>
>Rae Nishi, PhD
>Associate Professor
>Dept. Cell & Developmental Biology
>Oregon Health Sciences University
>Portland Oregon 97201
>**that's Orygun, NOT Ora-Gone**
I believe that your university does this....but I know that many do not..I was
one of those "bombed the first two years" people...and I got asked repeatedly
at interviews about my GPA and no one had noticed that I changed majors and
that my GPA 1st and 2nd was significantly different from my last two
years....all interviewers expressed concern over my GPA (3.3) and I had to
point out the problem to them....so I think you are rare in noticing problems
such as this.

Jen