teaching pos'ns without research

Patricia S. Bowne pbowne at omnifest.uwm.edu
Wed Oct 25 23:16:10 EST 1995

I teach at a catholic 4-year college where research is definitely
not a requirement. Ongoing professional development is, but I meet
that requirement by doing investigations and presentations on
teaching strategies, being active in teaching-related societies, and
writing computer tutorials.

I sometimes wonder, though, how mobile I am. After 10 years at a school
where your time is spent on pedagogy rather than amassing a list of
publications, how easy is it to get another job? Has anybody had
experience of moving out of a non-research position? Were you competitive
at other institutions?

Pat Bowne