Getting girls interested in computers, science, and the Internet

Rae Nishi nishir at ohsu.edu
Fri Oct 27 12:22:58 EST 1995

A couple of stories just hit the news about teenage girls who were
interested in the internet--- they were frequent users of a teenage
chat site and were pursuaded to meet one of the "boys"-- turned out
that they were middle-age men who proceeded to kidnap and rape them
(within the span of two days, these were two separate incidents).  This
sort of thing frightens me (I have two girls).  How do you protect them
against such assaults?  Let's face it, even though our kids start out
using the internet as an educational resource, there's plenty of
'other' entertainment online, including pornography-- they're bound to
get into it...

Rae Nishi, PhD
Associate Professor
Dept. Cell & Developmental Biology