Getting girls interested in computers, science, and the Internet

Donna Woodka woodka at pauline.sdsc.edu
Tue Oct 31 00:33:46 EST 1995

>In article <46r4hi$hbu at fremont.ohsu.edu>, nishir at ohsu.edu (Rae Nishi) writes:
>>A couple of stories just hit the news about teenage girls who were
>>interested in the internet--- they were frequent users of a teenage
>>chat site and were pursuaded to meet one of the "boys"-- turned out
>>that they were middle-age men who proceeded to kidnap and rape them
>>(within the span of two days, these were two separate incidents).  This
>>sort of thing frightens me (I have two girls).  How do you protect them
>>against such assaults?  Let's face it, even though our kids start out
>>using the internet as an educational resource, there's plenty of
>>'other' entertainment online, including pornography-- they're bound to
>>get into it...

I'm not especially interested in the "chat site" aspect of the net, although
I'm sure at some point in the book I will address such issues. I'm *very*
tired of the media only publishing these negative stories, however, and the
focus of my book will be the positive aspects of the Internet. I see the
Internet as an educational and research tool, however, and not the commercial
mall or chat room that seems to be getting all the publicity lately. And
"Internet pornography" is highly over-rated and over-publicized as well - my
kids have seen more naked bodies on the newstands than on the Internet.

I think you protect your kids by making them smart enough to know that talking
to strangers, in person *or* on the net, can be dangerous. And through a bit
of common sense - you don't meet strangers for any reason unless it is in a
*very* public place. And parents have to stay aware of what their kids are
doing and who their friends are.

>You have to let your children know that a stranger is a stranger and while the
>people on the internet seem friendly and pleasant it is very easy to lie when
>no one can see you or prove you wrong....that this is NOT real life...it's ok
>to talk on the net but don't be fooled into thinking that everything you are
>told is the true..be smart and be savvy.  Talk but don't give your full name,

>Jen

I agree with most of the points here. I would no more allow my kids to have
unsupervised use of the Internet than I would allow them to have unsupervised
use of any other communication device - my kids have access only to web sites
I have seen and approved of, and do not participate in any chat groups at all.
--
Donna Woodka     |  If you see someone without an emoticon,
woodka at sdsc.edu  |  Give them one of yours.  ;^)