New authorship question

jcoleman at msvax.mssm.edu jcoleman at msvax.mssm.edu
Tue Oct 31 15:25:12 EST 1995

In article <1995Oct30.163346.65414 at cc.usu.edu>, sll2s at cc.usu.edu writes:
>Since we are on the general topic of authorship, I have a question.  I am
>getting ready to publish my first paper and I was wondering whether anyone has
>any opinions as to using initials vs. full first/middle name, assuming the
>journal gives you a choice. The journal I'm publishing in does give a choice
>and I've decided to use my initials only.  My reasoning is that by only using
>my initials the reader cannot be biased as to the sex of the author(s) and
>evaluates the paper on its merits alone.  I don't know the frequency that such
>bias occurs or if it matters (if the reader met me he/she would find out soon
>enough that I'm female).
>
>Any thoughts,
>
>S. L. Osowski

I don't know that the instances of bias are...I am usually too busy reading
the paper FIRST and then may looking at the authors (unless they are really big
names and then I would notice first) I like initials only because it lets me
know how to look that person up under MEDLINE if I want to find more papers :-)
If I have the choice I'd do initials.

Jen (J.A. Coleman :-) )