New authorship question

sll2s at cc.usu.edu sll2s at cc.usu.edu
Mon Oct 30 17:33:46 EST 1995

Since we are on the general topic of authorship, I have a question.  I am
getting ready to publish my first paper and I was wondering whether anyone has
any opinions as to using initials vs. full first/middle name, assuming the
journal gives you a choice. The journal I'm publishing in does give a choice
and I've decided to use my initials only.  My reasoning is that by only using
my initials the reader cannot be biased as to the sex of the author(s) and
evaluates the paper on its merits alone.  I don't know the frequency that such
bias occurs or if it matters (if the reader met me he/she would find out soon
enough that I'm female).

Any thoughts,

S. L. Osowski