Attn:Profs at non-PhD granting schools

tania gonzalez tania at gene.com
Tue Oct 31 23:58:27 EST 1995

Hello!  																																				10/31/95

Im currently considering a career as a biology professor and I9m
looking for information as to the 3prerequisites2 for such a career and
the realities once one is a professor.  I9m specifically interested in
hearing from assistant, associate, and full professors of biology (or
related bioscience fields) currently conducting research AND/OR teaching
at 4 year liberal arts colleges and small colleges/universities which
grant only bachelors and masters degrees.    Please take the time to
answer as many of the following questions as you wish, and reply to me
privately via e-mail (tania at gene.com).  I really appreciate any
input/advice people wish to share with me as it will help me make an
informed decision regarding the kind of graduate work I do.  Thanks!

-Tania Gonzalez

1.	Are you on the faculty of a 4 year liberal arts college or a small
college/university with both bachelors and masters degree 	students but
no PhDs?

2.	What is your field of expertise/research?

3.	Are you an assistant, associate, or full professor?

4.	How much time or what % of your time do you spend on:
		-teaching
		-preparing lectures/lab courses
		-grading
		-conducting research
		-administrative work
		-advising students
		-writing grants/papers
		-going to conferences
		-miscellaneous (please elaborate)

5.	What are the major frustrations and rewards of your job?

6.	Currently, what is the typical profile of a person recently hired 	as
an assistant professor?

7.	How many applications does your department receive for a 	position?

8.	What, in your opinion, are the two most important factors 	when
considering someone for an assistant professorship?

9.	What are the two most important factors which determine if 	one gets
tenure?  How long does it typically take to get tenure?

10.	Where are assistant professorship jobs for the types of
institutions listed in question #1 advertised?

11.	What skills do you use most?

12.	Must one do a post-doc before applying for an assistant
professorship?

13.	How do you feel about your job?

14.	Are there any associations, publications, or computer resources 	you
suggest I look into?

15.	What do you do during the summer?

16.	What is the outlook over the next 5 years for people looking to 	get
hired who have a molecular biology background?

17.	If you do research, what are the most important, practical 	factors
(other than what really interests you to study) when 	deciding on a
system with which to work.  For example, the 	cost of lab supplies and
equipment might be a big factor.  The 	supplies necessary to store and
propagate yeast or bacteria are 	most likely less expensive than those
required for mammalian 	tissue culture or drosophila work.  Also, doing
x-ray 	crystallography probably isn9t feasible at a small schools due to
the very expensive equipment necessary.  I9m assuming that 	the grants
available for research at small schools aren9t large.

18.	If you conduct research, how difficult was it to get a grant.  Did
your institution provide you with any start-up money?

19.  	Is there anything else you9d like to add?

20.	THANKS A BUNCH  :-)