the feminist critique of science

Joy Frestedt frest001 at MAROON.TC.UMN.EDU
Mon Sep 11 09:21:17 EST 1995

Au contraire, I think this is EXACTLY the point.  In the example you use,
the "way" in which science was done has been changed completely.  In the
record, the "male" way to DO science was to study only MEN...the "female"
way to DO science is to study BOTH men and women (all ages I hope).  I
hope this means that the way we DO science has been changed DRASTICALLY
from now on! (Admitedly, the feminist critique of science is much broader
than this simple diatribe).  I leave all claims of superiority in this
example to the minds of our gentle readers.
Joy Frestedt
=======forwarded posts below=========
On Sun, 10 Sep 1995 14:11:23 -0700,
Pearse Ward  <wardp at herald.usask.ca> wrote:
>Ah, but this is substantially different from a "feminist"... critique of
science. In this case, a bias in how studies were conducted was identified
and attempts were made to

============
>In article <v01510100ac771de3723f@[128.173.187.13]>, mstorrie at vt.edu
>(muriel lederman) wrote:
>In a nutshell -
>> alternative perspectives, whether those of oppressed groups or other
>> cultures ARE valuable. Without someone yelling, do you really think that
>> NIH would now require that experimental patient groups be composed of both
>> males and females?

Joy L Frestedt, PhD candidate
Pathobiology program, Lab Med and Path
University of Minnesota Medical School