ANNOUNCEMENT: Women's Health Conference

Drmarts drmarts at aol.com
Wed Sep 20 09:02:27 EST 1995

In Message # <43mses$n9t at itssrv1.ucsf.edu>,  seline at itsa.ucsf.edu (Seline
Szkupinski Quiroga) writes:

>>>REVISIONING WOMEN, HEALTH AND HEALING:
	FEMINIST, CULTURAL & TECHNOSCIENCE STUDIES PERSPECTIVES
<date & location snipped>
>>>Edited excerpt from conference announcement:
	Gendered, cultured, historicized, classed, raced and otherwise
situated women are routinely erased as actors in the production of
health, health care per se, as well as health politics and policy.Yet a
sea change has been occuring across many if not most segments of the
social sciences and humanities in terms of freshways of conceptualizing
multiplicities, multiculturalisms, cultural critiwues, bodies,
identities, marginalities, differences, women, subjects, objects,
communities, practices and an array of other elements linked to modernity
and post modernity. This Conference will draw on these new approaches to
again rupture increasingly biomedicalized frameworks of women's health.<<<

First, let me assure you that I believe the topics to be addressed at the
conference are extremely important and timely, and if I lived anywhere
near San Francisco I'd probably attend.

Having said that, here's my peeve:

WHO WROTE THIS UNBELIEVABLE COMPENDIUM OF ABSOLUTE GOBBLEDYGOOK!!!
What kind of English is this?  Since when are "Gendered, historicized,
classed, raced" meaningful adjectives?  Last time I checked "cultured"
meant refined, having good taste - not the connotation here, I think.
"Raced"??? Does this mean being forced to enter 10Ks?  And just what does
"otherwise situated" mean? The rest of the paragraph doesn't improve on
the opening sentence. "Production of health" - as if health were something
made in factories. "Rupture... frameworks" - bit of a mixed metaphor,
don't you thing?

This is the sort of crap (pardon the vernacular) that gives feminists and
other progressives a bad name. If we can't write or speak in
understandable language, how on Earth do we expect do get people to
listen!

Putting my keyboard where my mouth is, here's a (first draft)  re-write:

"The presence of women in the arenas of health care, and health policy is
often dismissed or ingnored. Women's roles in these arenas are restricted
not only by gender discrimination, but by discrimination based on culture,
class, raced, ability/disability, and other factors. Work in the social
sciences and humanities provides new ways of thinking and talking about
cultural diversity, subjectivity and objectivity, cultural and personal
identity, marginalization, and other elements that have an impact on
health policy and health care delivery. The Conference will use these new
approaches to beginning to dismantle the too-rigid framework that
restricts women's participation in the health care arena."

Sherry