Doing RFLP paper-any good stuff?

Drmarts drmarts at aol.com
Thu Sep 28 11:03:01 EST 1995

In message <44d0s9$mje at newsbf02.news.aol.com>, monica039 at aol.com
(Monica039) wrote:

<snip>
>>>I realized that it is critical to get someone's attention,
schmoozing is definitely part of the picture no matter what terms it's
couched in, and I don't have a whole lot of time to accomplish that. My
Genetics prof is an amazing woman, possessed of a great mind and endless
arcana...<<<
<snip>

If you think this highly of your genetics professor, then why not approach
this more directly? Why not ask her to be your academic advisor? Of, if
that's not possible, to serve in a less formal capacity as your mentor? It
might help to have in mind what it is you'd like from her - advice on
courses to take? letters of reference? regular meetings - once a week or
once a month or once a semester? - just to give her an idea of the kind of
time commitment involved. Even if she says no, she'll probably remember
who you are.

When I was an undergrad I took a cell biology course (freshman level, big
class size, etc.) with a professor who impressed me greatly. By the end of
the semester I worked up the nerve to knock on his office door and ask if
he would serve as my academic advisor. It turned out he was very
interested in undergrad education and he agreed on the spot. He became my
mentor and a close friend whom I still visit on occasion. His guidance and
advice were invaluable to me.

Sherry Marts
American Health Assistance Foundation