Doing RFLP paper-any good stuff?

Mary Karczewski mk32e at nih.gov
Fri Sep 29 12:25:52 EST 1995

drmarts at aol.com (Drmarts) wrote:
>In message <44d0s9$mje at newsbf02.news.aol.com>, monica039 at aol.com
>(Monica039) wrote:
>
><snip>
>schmoozing is definitely part of the picture no matter what terms it's
>couched in, and I don't have a whole lot of time to accomplish that. My
>Genetics prof is an amazing woman, possessed of a great mind and endless
>arcana...<<<
><snip>
>
>If you think this highly of your genetics professor, then why not approach
>this more directly? Why not ask her to be your academic advisor? Of, if
(snip)

Hi- Another tactic for getting to know a professor and having her/him get
to know you is to just TALK to them.  When I was and undergrad, and now
as a grad student- I would just call to make an appointment with a
professor, and ask them how they got involved in science, what steps they
took, what advice they have about a career in science... I would also ask
them about their research, and where that is going.  I worked in a couple
labs during the undergrad years, and took internships in the summer.
Asking all these questions allowed me to see if science was something I
wanted to persue, and let THEM see I was really interested, and not just
looking for a generic "good letter so I can get into school".
I got to know several professors, and ended up in an internship with a
scientist who then volunteered to be my grad school mentor.

just my two cents!
marykk