concerned grad

michelle or doug mrtour at stud.med.cornell.edu
Thu Sep 28 15:45:44 EST 1995

Hello

I'm a 4th year grad student in Immunology and i'm getting rather concerned
about my grad school career...

essentially i cannot tell whether i am progressing or not in my work...

my intellectual skills seem to be right up to par, my PI is extremely
pleased with my ability to know the problem, explain it and figure out
appropriate experimentation to answer the question....so far, so good.

my problem seems to come in the small details of experimentation
(maybe)...i often have a control missing (but i never repeat such
mistakes)...

or the problem may lie in the fact that i don't have one all-encompassing
project...at the moment i am working on 2 projects, one peripherally and
one which i am the sole person....neither are working particularly
well....and i am not entirely convinced that my technique is the only
problem.

i guess frustration is the word....i would love to have suggestions on how
i could possibly be more productive...do i need to think constantly about
controls?  do i need to become more focused?

my concern comes from the fact that i am starting my 4th year and i have a
limit of 6 yrs (i lose my housing)...my PI has no suggestions for me
except to ask questions (which i already do...too much)

i guess what i really need to hear is some encouraging words from others
who are in grad school or made it through.....

how much does luck have to do with it?  (i am not a particularly lucky
person :))

thanks for listening.

michelle
mrtour at stud.med.cornell.edu