Apology. (fwd)

Ms. S.J. Rickard srickard at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk
Mon Apr 1 10:11:07 EST 1996

Dear Wah Chan,
I shan't repost your previous reply as it was part of possibly the longest
post I have ever read and I wouldn't wish to add to it.
As a fellow Brit (as your language clearly shows you to be)and a woman I
would just like to say that as a Brit and a man you should perhaps tred a
little more carefully. I understand your phrases and language, but
unfortunately our American cousins often do not get the subtle meanings,
in jokes or sarcsastic humour and take innocent sentences the wrong way.
However, I feel patronised when called a girl (I am 23) and correct men
when they do it.
I don't think "my dear" is an appropriate term to use to
a female you don't know/can't see and I suspect it was used slightly
patronisingly or to confuse the American readers who wouldn't get it's
meaning.
The tone of your posts is that of an old fashioned and therefore
legitamately sexist buffoon who likes a bit of crumpet and expects his
tea on the table when he gets home. I get the impression you hide behind
this facade in order to get away with rude comments and pull the wool
over Americans eyes (an eagerly pursued British pasttime!).
You've obviously upset a few women on here and although it is a free
world perhaps you should think before you post. You don't fool me for one
second.
Sarah