non-traditional u-grad needs encouragement

Karen Wheless wheless at sunchem.chem.uga.edu
Fri Apr 5 01:28:45 EST 1996

>I've been involved in bio and natural sciences for about 15 years.  I
>really *love* the field with a passion and am gearing towards
>specializing in genetics.  My current dilemma is O-chem.  While I find
>the material absolutely fascinating, I'm having a horrible time learning
>synthesis which is what the remainder of the year is comprised.  At this
>point I'm so frustrated and depressed about this I'm thinking of
>exploring other fields even though I'm very close to finishing my degree.
>I've always done well in prior chem classes, but this one is a real bear!
>Any words of encouragement from someone who's been there and advice for
>conquering this beast would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Julie,

My sympathies!  Even though I ended up in grad school doing organic
chemistry, my first year of O-chem was the hardest class I ever took!
It's really hard to get used the "thinking" organic.  But don't give up -
if you really love genetics it's worth it - plus the organic chemistry
you need for that field isn't that bad.  As for getting through your
organic class, I don't have any great insights (I still have troubles
with synthesis...)  What worked for me was spending a lot of time writing
out mechanisms.  Once you get used to "arrow pushing" and where the
electrons go, the synthesis problems get a lot easier.  And do as many
problems as you have time for (I know, not easy...).  If your textbook
doesn't help, try the library for Organic Chemistry by John McMurry.
This book has lots of really good problems, with most of the answers in
the back.  Good luck - and hang in there!

Karen

(tried to send this directly, but it was returned...)--
        Karen Wheless          wheless at sunchem.chem.uga.edu
     "Weed - a plant whose virtues have not yet been discovered"
                        Ralph Waldo Emerson

        Karen Wheless          wheless at sunchem.chem.uga.edu