non-traditional u-grad needs encouragement

Julie M. Phillips jphillip at oac.uci.edu
Thu Apr 4 22:58:30 EST 1996

Hi all,

I've been involved in bio and natural sciences for about 15 years.  I
really *love* the field with a passion and am gearing towards
specializing in genetics.  My current dilemma is O-chem.  While I find
the material absolutely fascinating, I'm having a horrible time learning
synthesis which is what the remainder of the year is comprised.  At this
point I'm so frustrated and depressed about this I'm thinking of
exploring other fields even though I'm very close to finishing my degree.
I've always done well in prior chem classes, but this one is a real bear!
Any words of encouragement from someone who's been there and advice for
conquering this beast would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Julie