women, minorities and Science

Julia Frugoli JFRUGOLI at BIO.TAMU.EDU
Fri Apr 5 14:06:26 EST 1996

The latest issue of Science has a whole section on diversity in science,
which has some interesting articles relavent to what's been discussed
here the last few weeks.  In response to Mr. Chan, there's a nice
article on why Computer Science is chilly to women and minorities, and
there's little boxed insert on a factor we in the US don't like to talk
about that may be more important than race or gender-social class.
According to one researcher, the level of education of a person's
parents is the best predictor of academic success. I can think of many
exceptions off the bat, but that doesn't mean as a general rule it isn't
true. Thoughts?
Julia Frugoli
Dartmouth College

visiting grad student at