non-traditional u-grad needs encouragement

Patricia S. Bowne pbowne at omnifest.uwm.edu
Fri Apr 5 12:34:21 EST 1996

When I did O-chem back in the eocene, I did all the
problems backwards - starting with the desired end
product and figuring out what step would yield it,
then figuring out what would yield the stuff I needed
in *that* reaction, etc. until I ended up with the
"benzene, toluene, and compounds of not more that
four carbons" - O-chem may be entirely different now,
but that method got me through all the problems in the
textbook.

But like everyone else is saying, do all the problems!
Once you get the hang of it, it's like doing jigsaw
puzzles. We had a study group that got together with
reams of scrap paper and did O-chem problems over lunch.
Stick in there and you'll get through it!

Pat Bowne