Women and Genetics.....?

Julie M. Phillips jphillip at uci.edu
Sun Apr 7 01:16:44 EST 1996

For me personally, I became very interested in genetics after having two
of my children.  Knowing somewhat how they develop in utero never ceases
to fascinate me.  After my oldest daughter was born just watching her
grow and develop tiny little physical and non-physical characteristics
that match either myself or my husband deepened my fascination.  For
instance the freckle on her hip-- my husband has one in the same exact
place on his hip.  The mix of the facial features and even down to
mannerisms and which trait she inherited from whom.   I could go on and
on, but it's too late at night.  Just staring at them as newborns,
watching their development and being able to see when a gene is turned
"on" for a new stage to begin.  If I hadn't had kids, I would have never
really understood what is in the texts as much as I have.

As an aside but funny-- My dear brother in law is dating a very close
friend of mine.  They were talking about a newborn baby girl relative and
her eye color-- friend mentions something about blue eyes being a
recessive trait (his eyes are brown, his mom's are hazel) and some very
basic genetics-- He insists that he has no recessive genes!  Friend and I
got a really good chuckle over that one!  The poor dear!

Julie