Name change

Tue Apr 9 14:19:50 EST 1996

Veronica asked if the laws about name changes were special to 
Utah-unfortunately not, though they do vary by state.  I think this 
topic was discussed earlier but I'll reiterate a little.  Most states 
require a court order for men to change their name (for any rerason) and 
for women to change their name for any reason other than 
marriage-including divorce.  The only way I could return to my maiden 
name when my ex and I divorced was by court order-we attached it to an 
amendment to the divorce decree.  It's easy to take "His" name-his new 
wife was already using it at the same time I was-part of the reason I 
wanted to get rid of it-there were some credit report mix ups with the 
new wife.  But it turned out that every legal agency, from Social 
Security to the State of Texas, to my credit card and insurance 
companies, wanted to see that certified copy of the court order.  So 
while you can call yourself anything you want, what Uncle Sam calls you 
is another story..
Julia Frugoli
Dartmouth College

visiting grad student at
Texas A&M University
Department of Biological Sciences
College Station, TX 77843
FAX 409-847-8805

More information about the Womenbio mailing list