Name change

Julia Frugoli JFRUGOLI at BIO.TAMU.EDU
Tue Apr 9 14:19:50 EST 1996

Veronica asked if the laws about name changes were special to
Utah-unfortunately not, though they do vary by state.  I think this
topic was discussed earlier but I'll reiterate a little.  Most states
require a court order for men to change their name (for any rerason) and
for women to change their name for any reason other than
marriage-including divorce.  The only way I could return to my maiden
name when my ex and I divorced was by court order-we attached it to an
amendment to the divorce decree.  It's easy to take "His" name-his new
wife was already using it at the same time I was-part of the reason I
wanted to get rid of it-there were some credit report mix ups with the
new wife.  But it turned out that every legal agency, from Social
Security to the State of Texas, to my credit card and insurance
companies, wanted to see that certified copy of the court order.  So
while you can call yourself anything you want, what Uncle Sam calls you
is another story..
Julia Frugoli
Dartmouth College

visiting grad student at