Name change

Veronica varreo1 at UIC.EDU
Tue Apr 9 12:59:41 EST 1996

> You would not beleive the opposition we faced--Not from our
> families, but from the system. When a woman is married, she can
> take her husbands name simply by saying, "I am now Jane So-in-So"
> This is not the case if a man wants to take his wife's surname (At
> least in Utah!) For Keith to change his name, either to my name or
> to a hyphenated name, he would have to petition the court to
> leagally change his name. This involves lots of $$ and requires the
> same process as would be involved if you wanted to change your name
> legally to GOD.
>
> In the end, Keith kept his name and I kept mine. If we have
> children the girls will have my last name and the boys will have
> Keith's.
>
> Kamala Devi Patel and
> Keith Alan Kostuchowski
Kamala,

	I can't believe that happened to you and your husband! Now is that
the same situation all the other states or just Utah? Considering the
highly conservative & religious state that Utah seems to be (at least
to me) it should be expected. But there needs to be some changes.

	I am happy though to hear that you and your husband came to a very
sensible medium. But I want to ask, did you consider getting married
in another state with more liberal name-changes? Not that you should
be expected to just up and move your wedding just to comply to state
laws, but just for curiousity sake.

	Also, how do you expect to handle the questions that will come with
having the girls carry your name and the boys carry your husband's
name? I would expect insensitive kids asking whether they are adopted
or step-siblings, teachers asking the same, or even trouble with
insurance companies.

	Veronica I. Arreola