Name change

Noelle S. Green-Willms nsg1 at
Wed Apr 10 09:17:24 EST 1996

New York State seems to be a bit more progressive than some of the other
states.  Changing one's name with marriage is simple as long as it is
filed on the marriage license application.  According to NYS law (unless
it has been changed since last June), the man may change his name to the
woman's name, the woman may change her name to the man's, or one, the
other, or both, can choose a combination of their two last names. 
However, any childern born in NY automatically receive the father's
surname unless he files a form requesting otherwise.  I didn't enquire
about changing one's name back because of divorce or any other reason.


Noelle S. Green-Willms
Section of Genetics & Development
Biotechnology Building
Cornell University
Ithaca, NY 14853-2703
(607) 254-4834
nsg1 at

More information about the Womenbio mailing list