name change

Erica Greene erica at bgumail.bgu.ac.il
Mon Apr 15 03:12:30 EST 1996

Ok, maybe someone has advice for this dilemma?  What do you do when you
aren't totally against changing your name to your future husband's, BUT
YOU HATE HIS LAST NAME!!!  In principle, I don't see anything wrong with
taking one's husband's name, especially in my case as my career path is
still in diapers.  However, my SO has this really horrible last name.
Its long enough that hyphenating or the 4 name thing would be pretty
ridiculous.  One might suggest that he take my last name , right?  Well,
he has a few serious publications in his name, and while he may be
liberal, he is a conformist and that is not done too often here.  The
other option is to take a new name together, but each of us is okay with
our own name, plus this is not good for his publications.
The clincher is that while he is an only son, he hasn't spoken to his
father in years, so there's not too much sentiment in anything connected
to Dad.
I kind of like the idea of you keep yours, I'll keep mine, at least for
work, and let the doctor call me want he wants to.  But, then what do we
call the kids?  My SO's last name is one of those names that kids get
teased for.
Too complicated.  I think I'll just stay single.
Any ideas?

Erica Greene
Ben-Gurion University of the Negev
Beersheva, Israel

PS.  Here, my first name is considered kind of weird (not Israeli, from a
different generation, and Ford has a European car named Erica), while my
SO has a perfectly normal Israeli name.  When we visit the States, the
tables turn.  You can't win.