name change

friedman-hill stacia
Wed Apr 24 23:09:20 EST 1996

Yes, I agree with Karen A. and Michelle M: Having an unusual name makes papers
and talks stand out more. In my case, my husband and I both had very
common names (Friedman and Hill). We didn't combine them to benefit from
the uniqueness, but my husband did note later that it made literature
searches easier. I had wanted to keep my own name when we got married
(Friedman) because it is a typical ethnic name and it just didn't feel
right to me to change it. (In earlier decades, a lot of Jewish business
people, musicians, actors, etc. have changed their names so they could
have more "typical American" names). My husband, on the other hand, felt
strongly that a family should have one name (i.e. the parents and kids
should have a common surname.) So hyphenating the name was a compromise;
we both changed our name.  At the time that we did this, we did not know
anyone else who had done this. But now we know of several other couples.

And, I'm the only Friedman-Hill in the Society for Neuroscience membership
directory. I had no idea so many female neuroscientists were reading this
group!

--Stacia Friedman-Hill
Center for Neurosience
University of California, Davis