Catch a Budding Scientist #2 - (:>)

michelle morton mbmorton at ix.netcom.com
Sat Apr 27 13:22:53 EST 1996

To all of you who have e-mailed me, thanx so much for all of  your
feedback.  I've gotten a lot of really good suggestions.  In fact, I've
gotten so many responses that I'm having difficulty getting back to
each of you individually!  To those of you who I haven't been able to
thank directly, I really appreciate your taking the time to help out.

As to a little bit more background about myself, I live in the Los
Angeles area and am just beginning to take all of the standard basic
bio, chem, and math courses.  I'm just at the beginning of what promise
to be several years of really enjoyable classes and on-the-job learning
experiences.  Several of you question why I would want to become a
physician assistant, though.

As a former firefighter and soon-to-be paramedic, I really enjoy
patient care.  What's really awesome is that the science and medicine
really dovetail off of each other.  I get to learn about a relatively
benign subject in bio or chem - say, pH for example - and get to put
that together with what happens when my patient becomes acidotic and
starts going downhill fast.  And knowing how electrolyte imbalances
trigger cardiac arrhythmias really makes learning about biochem and the
sodium-potassium ion exchange pump a LOT more interesting!  I feel
really privileged that I get to see both ends of the spectrum,  from
the classroom to the patient in the field and back again.   Most people
tend to do one or the other, but not both at the same time.  This is
GREAAAATTTTTT!!!

So it's likely that I will end up being involved in some type of
patient care.  Whether that will be as an MD or as a PA, I don't know
yet.  But if it turns out that I just can't tear myself away from, say
computational neurobiology or new uses for buckyballs, I'm definitely
open to that as well.

By the way, I'm probably one of the few people who's actually looking
FORWARD to taking orgo.  By the time I get there, I'm really hoping
that the implications of buckyballs to organic chem will be part of the
standard orgo class.  I may live to regret these words but, oh
wellllllllllllllll...

Anyway, thanx again to each of you for responding.