Why I want to be a prof

Rae Nishi nishir at ohsu.edu
Tue Apr 30 16:53:31 EST 1996

Here are some comments I have:

In article <ravena-3004960904370001 at ravena-ppp.caltech.edu>
ravena at cco.caltech.edu (Karen Allendoerfer) writes:.

> So, what I'm wondering is, what happens if you DON'T get the NIH or NSF
> grant on the third or fourth or fifth try?  Then what?  How does one find
> out about other sources of funding?

Grantsmanship is more than just rewriting a grant and resubmitting it
over and over again (like beating your head against the wall).
Critiques are important to address.  If you've addressed all the
concerns of the review committee and you still get the same score, then
talk with your program director or the exec secty of the study section.
 Maybe you should move the grant to a different review group.  At the
same time, if funding is dicey, you should be co-submitting or
overlapping submissions for another project or to private agencies.
For example, local organizations such as the local Heart Association
affiliate or Medical Research Foundation at your institution are very
good at providing "bridge" funding.  BTW, I had a friend who got his
NIH grant funded after the fourth time and he still got tenure...

What about "institutional support?"
> What is it?  Where does it come from?  How common is it?

Institutional support varies from place to place.  Some places, like
Mayo Clinic or perhaps Washington University or Caltech have
substantive endowments and faculty 'slush funds' for providing bridge
funding.  Other places (like my institution) have virtually no money
for such things.

Rae Nishi, PhD
Associate Professor
Dept. Cell & Developmental Biology