Ms./Mrs./Miss/DR!

Megan megan at ucla.edu
Tue Apr 30 21:16:38 EST 1996

Dear Dr. Sherry Marts,

Thanks for the great response!!  I love that one!!  I hate the knowing
looks of "ahh, another of those *Feminists*" with the corresponding sneer,
when I distinctly reply "Miz Igo, thank you very much."  It isnt even that
i mind being called a feminist, it is just that holier than thou attitude
that they take.

Im 27, and i feel a bit old to be called Miss - that is what I was called
as a child (although that is how my mother sometimes addresses mail to me
8-), and I am not married, so it is definitely not Mrs., and Ms. just feels
right for me.

To get off topic a bit, I dont know if I would go by Mrs. if I were married
- that is too far off to even think about at the moment, and I really dont
know if I would change my name if I were married for the same reason (and
Im sorta attached to my weird last name - I am used to having to spell out
I-G-O and explain that yes, it is said exactly as it is spelled, and vice
versa!!) 8-)  When I have a PhD, I doubt if I will use the Dr except
professionally or in situations like the one described by Karen
Allendoerfer, when attitude is required.  I have kind of gotten off the
point, though, which is that I will definitely use No as an answer to the
Miss or Mrs question in the future!!

Hve a great day!!
Megan Igo
megan at ucla.edu