length of grad. student careers

JFRUGOLI at BIO.TAMU.EDU JFRUGOLI at BIO.TAMU.EDU
Thu Aug 1 12:26:10 EST 1996

>>How do other dept's perceive issues like weeding the garden (masters
>>doorprizes), equalizing committees?
>
>In our department an MS is considered an end in it's own right, not a
>doorprize. Heck, those are the people who are going to have steady
>jobs!

Funny how this varies from dept to dept!  In mine, the masters is a
doorprize (the department has no written policy for giving it, lest they
encourage people to take it!).  In addition, someone entering our PhD
program with a Ms is on the same level as someone with a Bs-you get no
academic credit for it, though you can transfer 2 of your Masters
courses.

Julia Frugoli
Dartmouth College

visiting grad student at