over-hiring (was: length of grad. careers)

Majumder lab jhmorris at utmdacc.mda.uth.tmc.edu
Fri Aug 2 09:07:38 EST 1996

In article <32013C3F.1206 at salk.edu>, forsburg at salk.edu wrote:

> There are  university departments that are
> known to hire morejunior faculty than they intend to promote,
> so exactly the same thing happens, only a few years further down
> the line with even MORE invested.  Crummy, isnt
> it?  This sort of internal competition is pointless
> and completely detrimental to any sort of collegiality, and builds
> a lot of resentment and bitterness even if it is just for an award
> or a citation, rather than to keep one's position.
> Even worse is when the decision is based on chance, or connections,
> or politics, or how well one plays the game, rather than merit.  And
> all too often, merit has nothing to do with it.

This happened to my husband's PhD advisor (Material Science).  He did
everything right:  teaching, publications, committees, etc.  His tenure
was approved by the department, then the school of engineering, but was
axed at the university level.  Why?  Because there is a new Institute for
Nanotechnology going up and the school promised the Institute 7 faculty
positions.  Unfortunately, nobody bothered to get approval from (or even
inform) the rest of the school of engineering.  When Dr. C's tenure came
up, the school decided that they couldn't afford those 7 faculty positions
in addition to Dr. C's, so Dr. C was the sacrificial lamb to the rich
Nanotech gods.  My husband, who has already finished, is livid.

--Julia Hsi Morris

jhmorris at utmdacc.mda.uth.tmc.edu or zzhao at utmdacc.mda.uth.tmc.edu
Dept. of Neuro-Oncology, Box 316
University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center
Houston, TX