A peeve

Ellie Ettehadieh eettehad at direct.ca
Fri Aug 2 01:17:35 EST 1996

> My experience so far has been the same as Susan's - in Universities as
> well as in industry. At the moment I am in a place where this is not at
> all the case - very relaxing. But even in a place like this, once in a
> while someone turns up who really tries to impress everyone not by what
> he does, but by bragging about (mostly minor) achievements of his
> (a while ago a new PhD student really got on my nerves by telling
> everyone he met, whether relevant to the discussion or not, who his
> Masters thesis advisor was, who is a relatively famous physicist -
> that's the kind of thing I'm thinking of).

should have asked the person what he had done, or how he had contributed to
the success of the supervisor.  Thats how I deal with such a person, I hate
it when someone thinks they are fooling me or trying hard to show that they
are a hot shot.  In my experience, these kind of people usually have
nothing to offer and that is why they have to talk about themselves so
much.

> Now, what I noticed is that I am the only one who is put off by this.
> The others are not impressed by this person either, they simply just
> don't seem to care. So, is this related to the fact that I am a woman,
> and the others are men? Are women more easily put off by this kind of
> behaviour? Are men just less "emotional" about that kind of thing?
> I don't want to deem either good or bad, I'm just curious if others
> have seen this difference in perception as well.
>
> Sabine

I think men are just easier to fool.  :)

Ellie.