Success or failure as a PHD

4700gbera at umbsky.cc.umb.edu 4700gbera at umbsky.cc.umb.edu
Tue Aug 6 08:40:24 EST 1996

In article <4u5geg$jb2 at news.cuny.edu>, jcoleman at msvax.mssm.edu writes:
[snip about PI leaving]
>tech support is gone and the PI is looking for a new job *sigh* The project
>itself has been very successful but its a difficult and long term project
>so no publishable results to this point (I'm starting my fourth year of grad
>school now), it seems likely now that the PI will eventually leave and the
>lab will go to others and I will still me here trying to finish up. Actually
>this may happen sooner rather than later. How badly is this fiasco going
>to impact on my search for a PostDoc? If the PI fails, does it have
>implications for the student for a future career. I'd hate to dead in the
>water before I got off the ground. Also any encouragement as to how to stay
happy with science in this type of situation would be appreciated! :-)

Would one of your committee members be willing to take you on as a student?
Is your department chair sympathetic? Have you discussed any of this with
him or her? Your department has invested a lot in you, it would be in their
best interests to see that you finish your degree and do it in a reasonable
amount of time. Also, I would hope your current advisor would still be willing
to stay involved with your project, even if from a distance.

Good luck, it sounds like you are going through a scary situation - hang
in there!

-gb