candidacy exam prep. problems..

CVR cvr at icm.umontreal.ca
Mon Aug 19 15:50:46 EST 1996

I'm currently enrolled in my second year of a PhD program in physiology.
I love the work that I do and the environment in the lab is pretty good
(a few problems, but aren't there always a few of those!)..  Here's the
deal though..

I am preparing for my candidacy exam right now.. I had hoped to right it
sometime in August, but my supervisor told me that he wanted to have his
funding applications dealt with before it was time for my exam.. so the
matter was dropped for a little while..  Just recently I started talking
about it again.  He's tossed out some names about who he wants to have on
the jury but is being pretty noncommittal about it.  In fact, he's left
it all up to me to phone up these people and ask them if they'd accept to
sit on my evaluation committee.  I've decided for myself that I want the
exam to be over and done with by early November at the latest.

The problem is that I'm having a really hard time getting myself
motivated enough to actually pick up some books and study for the exam.
I find myself reading a physiology textbook and taking about three hours
to read 4-5 pages of material which isn't really that hard to absorb and
understand.  My fiance (who's done his PhD already) is trying to help me
out as best as he can by quizzing me on the material that I already have
studied at least.  But my supervisor seems to be making no effort to help
in my preparation for this "do-or-die" exam.  (I should add that I have
to have passed this exam by January 1997 at the latest..)  Should I bring
up the subject with my supervisor or just drop the matter and try to get
things settled all on my own?

Thanks for any comments..

Carmelle V. Remillard
-lost in Montreal!!