candidacy exam prep. problems..

Deb Britt Deborah_Britt at brown.edu
Tue Aug 20 10:54:17 EST 1996

In my grad school program, the major professor's role was basically just
to show up (armed with questions!) for the exam.  Our exams were given by
the members of the thesis committee, plus one extra prof from inside the
the department, and one from outside.   The major prof would give
suggestions for who to ask, but then it was entirely up to the grad
student to contact the committee members, arrange a time and place for the
exams (written and oral), get signatures and file the appropriate
paperwork.

You should get a committee together soon, and ask each member if there is
a specific area you should concentrate on for studying.  Some profs will
give you very specific topics, while others are no help at all, but it is
worth asking.  Also be aware of your committee members backgrounds, as
sometimes they pull questions from stuff they did as grads or postdocs.

Motivation to study has to come from within, but it will get stronger once
you set a date.  If you are nervous about an oral exam, get some friends
or your advisor to quiz you (try using the room you will actually be
examined in).  Just because your professor hasn't offered to help doesn't
mean he's not willing to give you a hand if you ask.  Set aside a specific
place with no distractions (the library maybe)  and times for studying,
and get yourself into a routine.

Good luck!
Deb
In article
<Pine.SUN.3.91.960819164315.3412B-100000 at cardio.ICM.UMontreal.CA>, CVR

--
Deborah Britt, Ph.D.
Department of Medical Oncology