Seeking Career Advice

Rachelle J. Bienstock rachelle at picard.niehs.nih.gov
Thu Aug 29 09:04:54 EST 1996

R. Elena Tabachnick wrote:

> falco at cd-online.nl (falco) wrote:
> >DONT DO IT !!! IT IS TO DEFICULT .
> >
> >THERE ARE NO JOBS TO FIND AND IT IS BAD PAY
>
> I started as an artist and ended up a paleontologist. Although the job
> market for research scientists is gawd awful, I want to contradict falco
> and say, "Go for it."  In the end I became university employed on the
> strength of the diversity of my background (science & art).  There are
> industry, state and local governm't jobs as well as education jobs at all
> levels (elementary school through college)... I also worked in museum
> exhibit development for awhile.
>
> As to colleges, I can't say as it is not my field.  Good question to ask,
> though.  Good luck.

To the artist who is thinking of going into science, look at the home
page of Dr. Art Olson at Scripps and members of his group and
their "Molecular Graphics Art Show"  at
http://www.scripps.edu/pub/goodsell/mgs_art/mgs_art.html
There are lots of creative ways in which science and an artistic bend
can be combined...