Evolution in the schools

Linnea Ista lkista at UNM.EDU
Thu Aug 29 17:07:23 EST 1996

On Thu, 29 Aug 1996, Patricia W. Cash wrote:

> If you are looking to take action, how about teaching a science club in
> your local school.  Call your local school district and see if they run
> such clubs, or start one yourself.  Alternatively, you could present in a
> science class as a qualified guest lecturer, or better yet, set-up a
> creation/evolution debate with a local pastor or avid Creationist.  I am
> in support of anything that may incite children to study science or the
> Bible.
But this is part of my problem with the whole issue ( I was the original
poster). Not every child is Christian. This is especially true here in
the southwest..  Which creation story gets taught? The same people who
want their creation story told at the expense of current scientific
theory would get really bent out of shape were stories of Spider Woman
singing creation into existence with her daughters (Pueblo) or Changing
Woman setting the world into harmony (Dine') given equal standing with
the Judeo-Christian story. In other words as possible truths for the
creation of the world.

The point of an education, in my mind is to expand the things a person
has to think about. If the child is being taught at home that the world
was created in 7 days, what is the problem with hearing another viewpoint?

I am not a parent, nor do I intend to be. But if I were and according to
you my job as a parent is to
be the primary educator of my children, then I think this is doubly
important in matters of religion, which is at the crux of this matter.

Most importantly, be a responsible citizen and vote.

Of course, I know that now!