Evolution in the schools

Patricia W. Cash cash at bms.com
Thu Aug 29 18:59:22 EST 1996

I think that it is important for all parents to be involved in their
child's education.  The parent, not the school system, is the child's
primary teacher.  I applaud Pat Robertson's efforts to get parents
involved in the schools - because the majority of parents are not
involved.  People are even less likely to vote in  school board elections
than political elections.  I think that those who care enough to get
involved should have the right to decide what is taught.  If a "hot"
issue such as creation/evolution arises, it should be put to a public
vote and  the majority should decide.   In any case, parents should be
informing children at a young age that not everything heard in school is
true.  My son had to stand up to his teacher in second grade and tell her
that there actually was slavery in the north.   She denied it even after
he brought in references!  It's the parent's role as primary educator to
let the child know when the teacher is not totally correct.

As a scientist and a Christian, I personally don't see the problem with
"coverage of the origins of life based on scientific evidence".
Scientific evidence must be presented.  Evolution has been shown to occur
within a particular species (plenty of scientific evidence) but as far as
the big bang theory and the origin of life there is a lot of controversy.
 What is taught at the K-12 level in school is generally oversimplified
and presented as absolute truth.  I believe that there is ONE truth out
there and none of us have that total truth.  I don't understand how
science and  Christianity can come into conflict (from a professed
Christian's point of view).  Christians who are afraid of studying
science because they believe somehow the need for God may be disproved
obviously don't have much faith in God.  A scientist is just observing
God's creation.

If you are looking to take action, how about teaching a science club in
your local school.  Call your local school district and see if they run
such clubs, or start one yourself.  Alternatively, you could present in a
science class as a qualified guest lecturer, or better yet, set-up a
creation/evolution debate with a local pastor or avid Creationist.  I am
in support of anything that may incite children to study science or the
Bible.   Most importantly, be a responsible citizen and vote.