short postdocs - truth or dare

Frank van de Loo frankv at pican.pi.csiro.au
Thu Aug 29 17:46:09 EST 1996

In article <199608281851.LAA32140 at rho.ben2.ucla.edu>,
   megan at ucla.edu (Megan) wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I would like to ask a question on behalf of a friend of mine.  She is going
>to finish her PhD soon and is looking for Postdocs.  Her husband is now in
>another city, working on an MBA, which he will finish next June.  She is
>going to interview for a postdoc in the same city in which he now lives, and
>wants to go with him when he leaves, or ASAP after he leaves, but she does
>not yet know where that will be (he will know by December where he has a job
>lined up for after June).  She is wondering if it is wise to tell the PI
>with whom she is interviewing that it will likely be a relatively short
>postdoc (she guesses about a year) when she interviews, when she starts, or
>when she is looking for the next one. Basically she doesnt want her new boss
>to be disappointed or upset if she leaves in a year, but also doesnt want to
>hurt her chances of getting the position.  Any suggestions??

The obvious suggestion to me is that her husband might plan on staying put for
a while after he graduates so that she can get time for a longer postdoc.  Not
only is a one-year postdoc probably a problem for a prospective boss, but it
will be hard for her to start a new project, get results, and get a job
seminar, so in effect she might be spinning her wheels.  The ideal solution
(if the husband is inflexible) would be to pick up expertise in a lab that
does quite different work and where she wouldn't normally consider going for a
 longer period.  Of course this leaves the problem of what the prospective
boss would get out of it - hopefully your friend would contribute expertise
new to the lab, so it goes both ways.

Just my 2 electrons.
Frank.