Evolution in the schools

JFRUGOLI at BIO.TAMU.EDU JFRUGOLI at BIO.TAMU.EDU
Fri Aug 30 12:54:22 EST 1996

There are two threads running here, as I see it:

1) Should creation stories be taught as "science" in schools?

 (No, IMHO)

and

2) Is it possible to be a scientist and have religious beliefs?  I'd
like to explore this a bit more, especially because of the recent
comment I received and posted, to the effect that it was impossible to
be Christian and a scientist-the person who made this comment seemed to
think that anyone who claimed both was either a rotten scientist (poor
logic) or a rotten Christian (hypocrite).  Because I personally know
good scientists who are both, I disagree (besides-I think I'm both), but
I blame the present political climate, especially the "Force our beliefs
down their throat" attitude of the religious right, for generating
hostility among scientists toward those who hold religious beliefs, even
within science itself.  Plus, bad experiences like Megan's with poor
interpretations of Christianity pop up all the time. I'm glad most
people don't condemn all scientists because some lie or slant the
data,and I wish these same people would grant religious colleagues the
same courtesy.

Does anyone else, especially from non-Christian religious backgrounds,
run into this, or am I an isolated exception?

Julia Frugoli
Dartmouth College

visiting grad student at
Texas A&M University