Job prospects and Mr. Chan

Mr. W.Y. Chan wahchan at liverpool.ac.uk
Mon Dec 2 10:55:31 EST 1996

Sabine Dippel (sabine at hlrz28.zam.kfa-juelich.de) wrote:
: In article <5750r6$5og at Masala.CC.UH.EDU>, celestem at transposon.bchs.uh.edu
: (Celeste Moore) writes:
: |>
: |> I think Sabine has done a great job of expressing the worry of looking at the
: |> job market.  I have many of her same concerns.  And I appreciate her having the
: |> nerve to post them,  that takes real guts.  I know what my skills are and
: |> I have a general idea of what I am good at and like to do, but actually finding
: |> a good job that fits isn't very easy.  I am very hopeful for my future, and for
: |> hers too.  Sorry I don't have any info. on international organizations, but
: |> Houston, Texas (where I am)  is a rather diverse place.  Let me know if you
: |> want any information from this part of the world.
: |>
: |> Celeste
: |>

: Thanks, Celeste.

: I am surprised that I seem to have sounded sort of pessimistic. Actually, I am
: very optimistic. (BTW, I know now where to get information on EU jobs.)

: And now we know why Mr. Chan stirred activity in this newsgroup - he was bored
: but not imaginative enough, so he needed some material for his spams.
: Mr. Chan, since you will undoubtedly read this post: believe me, I do not see
: my illusions shattered or anything, I just see a political development taking
: place which drives science into a direction I do not like at all, and I am
: getting out of this ALTHOUGH I am good at it, have the neccessary connections
: and publications record. I would not do this if I did not see promising
: alternatives.
Well here we go, that is exactly what I was saying, I accept criticism but
please not on a personal level, you are now saying "I am bored and not imaginative
enough", then what am I suppose to do? I like to offer you my advice because you
felt unoptimistic and now I got a rebuff from you, I don't think I'd deserve
that.
: By the way, I am just back from a seminar of the german physical society
: on job prospects and opportunities for physicists, and am very surprised
: that I felt like the most optimistic of all the people attending it. From
: the talks given there by people working in industry, I even gathered that
: this optimism is justified.
Well I am very pleased for you in finding back your optimism, perhaps others
in the seminar will have exactly the same encouragement as you did....:)

	Wah.

: Sabine

: | Sabine Dippel     | e-mail: s.dippel at kfa-juelich.de                 |
: | HLRZ              | phone : [++49] (2461) 61-2318                   |
: | KFA Juelich       | fax   : [++49] (2461) 61-2430                   |
: | 52425 Juelich     | WWW   : http://www.hlrz.kfa-juelich.de/~sabine/ |
: | Germany           |                                                 |
: