Name,name,name.

Chong K. Jue jue at genectr.hunter.cuny.edu
Mon Dec 2 19:38:01 EST 1996

Mr. Chan,

My mother's legal and official name has the following format:  Husband's
surname_Her maiden surname_Her first name(usually one or two characters).  My
aunts also use the same format.  Women in Hong Kong just use that format without
much debates or discussions.  Most of the people from Hong Kong are immigrants
from Southern China at one time or another.  I wouldn't be surprised if that's
true in Southern China too.
In case you doubt about what I said, email someone in Hong Kong or to visit the
cemetaries in Hong Kong. Read the names on the tombstones.
My knowledge come from 15 years of personal experience.  I can't comment other
parts of Asia due to the lack of knowledge.

Chong K. Jue
Dept of Biological Sciences
Hunter College,
New York, New York,10013