language equity

Rae Nishi nishir at ohsu.edu
Thu Dec 5 20:27:31 EST 1996

My 5 yr old daughter and I got a pleasant surprise from a kid CD-ROM
game called "Freddi the Fish".  Freddi is a very neuter-looking fish
who is the primary character in a swim-around find the treasure
computer game that involves solving problems posed by other characters.
 For all the reasons that everyone has already stated about the
over-representation of boys in the mass media, we had stupidly resigned
ourselves to "Freddi" being a boy.  In one scene, a shark assumes
Freddi is a boy, and she reacts indignantly and says "NO, I'm a
<GIRL>".  My daughter was delighted and thrilled.

Rae Nishi