men, women, and the politics of sports

Annette C. Hollmann ah690549 at bcm.tmc.edu
Thu Dec 19 06:59:47 EST 1996

In article <ravena-1812962143250001 at ravena-ppp.caltech.edu> ravena at cco.caltech.edu (Karen Allendoerfer) writes:
>In article <a-schmi-1812961320050001 at vortex.life.uiuc.edu>,
>a-schmi at uiuc.edu (aloisia schmid) wrote:
>
>> I have noticed one other thing though.  Sports.  Have any of you noticed
>> that sports occupies the attention of alot of men in science?

I have noticed that both men and women are up to date on what's happening
in football, baseball, and basketball. We also have quite a few people
involved in recreational sports - but I'm the only one that is doing any
kind of serious competition. I guess that makes me, a 100 pound girl (not
even big enough to be a woman) the unofficial lab jock. Go figure ...

My involvement in sports is usually well tolerated, though I did catch
some flak when I showed up with my arm encased in 3 pounds of fiberglass
last spring. The boss mellowed out when she noticed that I am
ambidextrous :-)
I do take more precautions now. I make sure all the
children near the track are within arm's length of a parent before I
start skating because the only time I ever get hurt is when I trip over a
loose "little critter" that has managed to step out onto the track.

Annette
Sk8er Brat :-)