professionalism, women, and Oprah!

Mr. W.Y. Chan wahchan at liverpool.ac.uk
Fri Dec 20 07:00:17 EST 1996

JuneKK (junekk at aol.com) wrote:
: Dear J.C.

: Wow, I am impressed by this short commentary of a graduate (?) student
: looking for the answers of gender discrimination, career advancement,
: etc....

: I've been looking for similar answers to these questions as well, which is
: why I became the Women in Neuroscience newsletter editor- [WIN is a
: national organization comprised of 650+ neuroscientists of varying
: education levels].  I think the best way to promote the advancement of
: women through the ranks of science is to be well-advised of all the
: barriers/issues that are faced through the process (e.g. how to get your
: first post-doc, how to interview for a job, how to get funding, the list
: is endless!!).

: Would you mind if I included your letter in the next WIN newsletter due
: out in Jan?  It would be anonymous, and possibly condensed  (subject to
: space constraints)....I thought that this would be a great letter to
: include in my "editorial" section, since you raise the valid point that
: women often  become engrossed in other aspects of their "life development"
: that may not necessarily be conducive to career advancement.

: << I was hoping for some kind of old-girl's-network, with lots of job
: postings, career information, and secret tips on getting by in a world
: dominated for so long by men.>>

: There are many places to get this type of information/help-for example, if
: your area is neuroscience- join WIN!  Society for Neuroscience is also
: involved in this type of career development, and has formed an ad hoc
: committee to meet this need (Dr. Mary Bunge is chairperson).  AWIS is
: another great source, as is AAUW.   (check out the homepages of WIN
: (http://www.beemnet.com/WIN/),  AWIS (??), AAUW, or SFN
: (http://www.sfn.org/) for more information.

: I don't necessarily believe that there are any tips (secret, anyway) on
: getting by, but perhaps for the obvious- your established work and ability
: to contribute to (and communicate) your field of interest will tender the
: most respect.  Being driven about your science research is definitely
: necessary, but I still like to believe that having other areas of your
: life IS still possible- (including family!).

: Incidentally, another great Internet site to check out job ads is on a
: page called, "EMPLOYMENT LINKS FOR THE BIOMEDICAL SCIENTIST" at the
: following address:  http://www.his.com/%7Egraeme/employ.html

: Regards,

: June Kume-Kick, Ph.D.

How interesting but I am a bit sceptic about it all and what it all lead to.
Well one aspect of "holding a lots of women back" is children or family
commitment in fact I should not have really said "holding women back" because
family commitment is very important but somehow its normally women who showed
a more caring side, I won't comment on this because I dont have the answer...:)
My friend's mother was an independent woman from a young age and at the age of 19
was the first woman in Britain to join the merchant navy in 1949, her opinion
about today's women who wants equality is "stop quarrelling and make something
for yourself and do not go about expecting too much", she hated the idea
of gender discriminations and deeply oppose to the idea of society giving
in most cases, "women special treatment" and political correctness as all this
in a way has been a focus of discrimination for her. She once reacted angrily that
her son was taken a business degree course and of the subject being studied
was "Women in Business", this I believe was taken up as promoting women in
business but she said "Why dont they just scrap this part of the course and
accept women as they are rather than make an issue out of it, if some women
cant make it in the business world they should back off like we expect everyone
else". She is right, and for someone who is a woman who'd done a lots of things
that other females like her never did and to have been there before the days
of the Sexual Revolution in the 60s she cant be that wrong.

	Wah.