why women leave the pipeline?

Constanze Bonifer bonifer at sun2.ruf.uni-freiburg.de
Fri Dec 20 17:46:14 EST 1996

Dear Sarah,
I think it is a combination of different things. I was married, and if you are
you have to make quite a few compromises. I did not go into a famous lab in the
US for a postdoc, beacuse my husband refused to move to the States. You can
not go to a meeting because you have other obligations, sometimes you have to go
home. I remeber when I was a child, my father was never there, because he
had to work.And this was considered normal. And it still is (at least in this
country). When I was working very hard, and my husband complained about me coming
home late, I offered one guaranteed evening at home (except the weekends),
where we would do something special. His answer was: I want my wife at home in
the evening. So what do you do: you get rid of this guy, but you have made
so many compromises that you feel it many years later.
At a time, when it is important, you have not published enough papers.
 I often feel, a career in science is an all or nothing thing.
So, it is important to pan your career. If you dont, you have to be VERY lucky.
 The German system, with its inflexibility,
of course, doesnt help. There are no aother options but to go for a permanent position if you want to stay in Academia.
so what do I do: I do not find a job in Germany. if I would still be married I would leave science, but since I am not: I am about to move to the US.
Conny

--
Constanze Bonifer
Constanze Bonifer