sports & baking & frustration!

rtemple at NETMAIL.HSCBKLYN.EDU rtemple at NETMAIL.HSCBKLYN.EDU
Mon Dec 23 16:44:15 EST 1996

Karen wrote:
<snip>
Maybe it's time we realize that we are not less feminine simply
because we bought cookies at the store and are wearing jeans that
probably should have gone into the laundry yesterday!  (Guilty as
charged!;-))

I don't think you have to choose between science and femininity, but
you might have to change your definition of feminine.
---------
I probably should have been clearer about which definition I was using at the
time! I was speaking about popular culture's definition of feminine/motherly/
nurturing behaviour. I am DEFINATELY not the ruffly apron, jeans always washed,
prim & proper type of lady, as  my fiancee will attest to... (my jeans are in
the same state as yours!). I bike to work, have been voted 'most likely to be
seen in a ratty old baseball hat in the lab', and basically never was shy about
getting my hands dirty. But unless you know me, you might try & impose this
stereotypical definition on me, and then be shocked when I didn't respond the
way you thought I would! And it's been done before...

I don't define myself by other people's definitions, but I am aware of them!