sports & baking & frustration!

Mr. W.Y. Chan wahchan at liverpool.ac.uk
Sun Dec 29 19:15:28 EST 1996

Sarah Boomer (sarai at u.washington.edu) wrote:
: Hi -
: 	While I agree to a point, I think the discussion about baking and
: superficial definitions is simply that, very superficial - very
: superficial discussions about what "femininity" is.  I think the root of
: the superficiality, though, does have to do with some deep-seated
: socialization differences between many men and women that are perhaps more
: psychological (Note: I don't even pretend to be a psychologist... just an
: old liberal arts alum with some women studies).
: 	Why do women tend to do these "little things"  - why?  I think
: that comes down to some real points made by women on the group (and also
: some people of different ethnic backgrounds, to me personally).  Many (not
: ALL!) men grow up with a behavioural pattern that is geared toward
: satisfying personal gains where many women (not ALL!)  grow up being
: raised to make decisions based on more group-oriented things.  I think the
: real point of these discussions does come down to more of an issue that
: many women look at little tasks around their workplace and think - oh, I
: have to do this because it will impress the group or so and so forgot to
: clean that up - I will HELP them because they are clearly busy.  It isn't
: that a woman always bakes because it is feminine to do so;  it is perhaps
: because she feels that it will please others to do it.  A man, on the
: other hand, may just be thinking - I don't have time for this;  I have a
: more experiments to run before lab meeting. Yes - there are still lots of
: silly feminine trappings that make it easier for a man to assume he can't
: or isn't suited for baking... but it still, to me, comes down to what men
: and women differentially value in terms of setting the course of their
: day, their year, their career.

On another note how come so many men (about 9 out of 10) of all
masterchef are men?

: 	Sarah

: Sarah Boomer				email:  sarai at u.washington.edu
: Dept. of Microbiology			work phone:  543-3376
: Box 357242				work FAX:  543-3376
: University of Washington
: Seattle, WA  98195

: personal homepage: