high heel requirement at work?

Hannah Dvorak hdvorak at cns.caltech.edu
Thu Feb 1 13:13:42 EST 1996

In article <aweber-3001962227270001 at toyon-95-248.stanford.edu>, aweber at amy5.stanford.edu says:

> This topic originated on alt.fashion.
>
> (begin snip)
>
>>I would be interested to know if anyone here has had a job where there was a
>>requirement to wear heels, and if so, how did you feel about/cope with it?
[snipped cocktail waitress story]

I don't really have a relevant story from my life, but this does
remind me of a "Dear Abby" I once read that really annoyed me:
Someone (a podiatrist?) wrote in to complain about how airlines
require their stewardesses to wear high heels, and Abby's response
after talking to some airlines along the lines of "no they don't,
they only require one and half inch heels."  In my book, those
are high heels - the only time I've worn shoes like that is for
proms and weddings.  One of the things I like best about working
in a biology lab is being able to wear whatever I want, which is
usually shorts, a T-shirt, and sneakers!

- Hannah

Hannah Dvorak			hdvorak at cns.caltech.edu
Division of Biology 216-76
California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, CA 91125