Re-entry programs

Linnea Ista lkista at UNM.EDU
Thu Feb 1 10:33:26 EST 1996

On Fri, 26 Jan 1996 cathy.jones at syntex.com wrote:

> I wanted to get some feedback from this group re: going
> back to school in your late thirties.
>
> In high school, I had an old-fashioned counselor who
> thought that I would be happier taking typing and
> home ec classes even tho my skills and interests always
> tested out high in science. I've denied that science
> interest for 20 years, but have finally decided to try
> and do something about it.
>
> I'm taking entry level courses in biology, chemistry;
> soon I'll try physics and calculus; all of this at a
> community college in the Bay Area, CA.
>
> What I'd like to know is if anyone has experience with
> moving back into heavy academics after working for 15
> years? Did you find college life difficult? Did you
> continue to work and then find a school that fit the
> schedule you wanted? How long did it take? What schools
> did you end up at?
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> Cathy Jones
> cathy.jones at syntex.com@PDMF at CHUB1

Dear Cathy,

I myself have not reentered, but when I was teaching college I had a
student who returned to school when she was in her earlt forties.  She
was an excellent student, as are most of the "non-traditionals" I have
taught.  She is now in vetrinary school.

My aunt also reentered school in her mid forties, she now has a masters
degree in counselling psychology.

Both seemed to find the intellectual challange of college worthwhile, and
were excellent students (I think the maturity factor plays a big role
here;). Both stated to me that they didn't fit in to "college life" as
well as they would have in their twenties.  At most universities (even
the tiny one I attended as an undergrad) there are organizations
specifically for older students.

The very best of luck!
Linnea