high heel requirement at work?

Sarah L. Pallas spallas at bcm.tmc.edu
Thu Feb 1 14:53:20 EST 1996

In article <aweber-3001962227270001 at toyon-95-248.stanford.edu> ,
aweber at amy5.stanford.edu writes:
>>Also, I'm thinking that in today's legal climate, an employee who had a
high
>>heel requirement imposed on her, and who then developed foot problems,
might
>>have grounds for a workers compensation suit.  (I remember a case of
where
>>someone got $5000 because her finger was injured from repetitive key
punching
>>over 30 years of working as a grocery cashier, so stranger things have
>>happened in legal la la land.)

As someone who has just spent 2 months recovering from foot surgery, and
who still can't wear shoes, I'd say you'd have to give me a whole lotta
money to make it worth keeping that job (not to mention the other obvious
shortcomings of a sexist job requirement).  In my case the foot problem
was due to bad genes (thanks mom) and not high heels, but high heels will
give you the same problem.  Ouch.

Sarah Pallas (wondering what I will wear on my feet for my job interviews
this month...)